Thursday, February 24, 2011


This video was posted on YouTube by K21desmog.

     Finally, someone with a healthy economic purpose! Ray Anderson is the CEO of Interface. Interface is the worlds largest commercial carpet manufacturer. Mr. Anderson feels as though corporations should all feel the need to think about the environment first, and think about plundering second.
     Plundering is the stealing of valuable objects from people. In many ways, I feel as though corporations are plunderers. They will do whatever it takes to earn money, but what are they really doing? Are they earning it or stealing it? In the case of PG&E, that corporation was stealing valuable things from people. No, PG&E wasn’t plundering money, but they were doing much worse. They were plundering the lives out of the residence in that area. In the article, PG&E and Erin Brockovich Battle Continues, written by Kettleman HIlls, the author goes into detail about the case, but also talkes about how the lives of innocent children were taken. This is exactly what PG&E did. They stole the lives of children.

     Everyone who is in control of a corporation, needs to have the same mindset as Ray Anderson. They need to ask themselves one question. What is our company doing to the environment? If everyone asked this question, than there would be no problems with corporations.
     We had a discussion in class today based on the following topic. The Bible says that God gave man the power to have dominion over the earth. Do you think that corporations are taking advantage of this?
     For most, I believe they are. Just because God gave us power over the earth does not mean that we are allowed to destroy it as we please. When you steal from others, you are destroying them. I believe the old saying is “with great power comes great responsibility”. If this is the case, than corporations need to be more responsible for their actions and focus on the interest of their customers and not the interest of their pockets. I believe that God gave man domain over the earth because man could reason, man could love, and man could care.

     If corporations are not putting reason, love or care into their work, they should not be a corporation with power. Love is a compasion for others and a since of "I'm going to try and make you happy and keep you safe". That is love's mantality.
     Once again, it all relies upon the leaders and people in the corporations. If we all thought like Ray Anderson, than we would all be on the right track towards saving this world. This affects our lives and the animals around us in ways that we couldn't even imagine. Just by the smoke in this picture below, corporations pollute the air. The smoke then destroys the ozone layer, allowing harsher sun rays into the Earth's atmosphere. This can cause skin cancer.

                                       Photo courtesy of Pepeketua via Flickr  
     Corporations pollute, destroy, and steal. Corruption is almost every where. Men like Ray Anderson bring hope that this world could one day be clean again, with lives and money saved.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Writer,
    I agree with your stance on corporations. Especially that they should ask themselves what their own company is doing to our environment.
    I also think that they have been plundering and taking advantage of the dominion we were given. I liked when you said, "God gave man domain over the earth because man could reason, man could love, and man could care." I agree.
    Thank you for writing this.

    Elephant

    ReplyDelete