Thursday, January 27, 2011

Is it really worth it?


This video was posted by ForwardMedia on YouTube. The complete film was written, directed, and stared by Margan Spurlock.

        Although we love fast food, and we assume that they are unhealthy for our bodies, we may not know the health problems it may cause to its full extent. A man named Morgan Spurlock puts his body to the test and strives to eat a strict diet of only McDonald’s food for an entire month. In the movie Super Size Me, he visit’s the doctor regularly and eats the fast food we all know and love ritually. Through the video above, you will see that his health was in danger, and he almost had to stop his horrible diet early. The doctors were concerned that if he was to keep with his diet, that the consequences could be permanent if not lethal.
        How scary is this? I know that it seems to be a bit over the top and dramatic. You're probably thinking, no one eats McDonalds three times a day. Actually, there are. People such as construction workers, and other individuals who work all day with short food breaks eat these meals at least twice a day. When I worked at a grocery store, I ate McDonalds at least twice a day because it was fast and convenient.
        This corporation that we think of as one of the world's most known fast food restaurants could/can be lethal to our bodies. McDonalds is a powerful company that controls what they are putting in the food they sell, and they chose this. Why does the food have to be so unhealthy? Why can’t they give us better food? Is it because it saves them money and cost us more?
        According to Mark Bittman's post, How to Make Oatmeal...Wrong, McDonalds had their chance to create and sell healthy food, but instead of keeping it simple and healthy, they made it worse. To clarify who Mark Bittman is, he is a writer of food for the New York Times for the past 13 years.  They had a chance to sell oatmeal as a product at McDonalds. Maybe you have heard of it? They called it their "bowl full of wholesome". But they ended up making it a bowl of crap. According to Mr. Bittman's post stated above, this oatmeal dish "contains more sugar than a Snickers bar and only 10 fewer calories than a McDonald's cheeseburger of Egg McMuffin."(par. 10) We are talking about oatmeal here. How can oatmeal, usually consisting  of whole grain oats and water, be less healthier than Snickers and a cheeseburgers? McDonalds added other ingredients to make it taste better so people would buy it and think they were eating healthy. People are getting tricked by corporations such as McDonalds all the time in these ways.
        My girlfriend loves to eat at McDonalds. We are from a small town, so that is the only place to eat at. It seems as though McDonalds is the place to be. So, of course, me being a good boyfriend, I take her out to eat. I'm hungry as well, so I eat some food too. I chose the grilled chicken to eat every time. We ate there for a maximum of 7 times over Christmas break (estimated around 20 day school break), and when I returned back to my school workouts, my timed 2 mile run for the Army especially, was increased by an entire 60 seconds. I was out of breath, and in pain from all the bad food that was in my system. I gained 2 percent more body fat and around 10 lbs. That's a half a pound a day! McDonalds has ways to fix their problems of unhealthy foods, but they choose not to. Why? All to make it taste better so the customer comes back. All to make another buck.
        Sadly, I think that every corporation is corrupted in some way, shape, or form, and it is my goal this semester to prove my theory wrong. I don’t want to live in a country that lies to us just so it can get richer. I want a country that cares for my well being.
        The scariest part is that we are the ones funding the madness.

No comments:

Post a Comment